|Posted on March 9, 2016 at 3:50 PM|
Holistic diet and lifestyle choices play a significant role if you are planning to get pregnant. There are plenty of food items that both men and women should avoid or adopt before pregnancy to ensure good health of your baby and prevent any birth defects. Moreover by making specific changes to your diet you can boost your fertility and increase your chances of conception.
Pre-pregnancy holistic diet is important for conception because foods that you eat become the building block for hormones, for example they may provide antioxidants which may be helpful to protect egg and sperms from free radicals. Some nutrients found in the food can promote fertility. Similarly some foods may contain chemical additives that can be harmful for your health and fertility.
The definition of healthy food may vary from person to person. Regardless of what your definition of healthy diet is, here are some of the traits of pre-pregnancy holistic diet:
• Provides your body with abundance of vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and other nutrients required for optimal health.
• It provides antioxidants, minerals and vitamins needed to protect egg and sperm health from the damages caused by free radicals.
• It helps your body maintain hormonal balance by providing healthy fats need for hormone production and function.
• It minimizes the chances of miscarriage due to insulin resistance or damage from free radicals to the ova, sperm and DNA.
• Pre-pregnancy holistic diet also helps the body build important nutrient stores for pregnancy.
• It supports healthy reproductive system.
• It also promotes energy and vitality.
Here are some foods that help with conception. You should aim at including them in your diet.
• Fatty fishes – fatty fishes are rich in omega-3 fatty acids because of their ability to regulate menstrual cycle. Avoid fishes that are high in mercury concentration such as ahi tuna, swordfish, and Chilean sea bass.
• Organic vegetables and fruits – eating organic vegetables and fruits help you to avoid harmful herbicides and pesticides which have been shown to adversely affect both female and male fertility.
• High fiber foods – Fiber helps to regulate blood sugar levels which help to reduce fertility issues such as PCOS and immunological issues.
• Vitamin D – Foods rich in vitamin D helps your body create sex hormones which is essential in creating ovulation and hormonal balance.
• Vitamin E – Studies have shown that vitamin E is helpful in improving sperm health and motility in men.
• Vitamin C – It improves hormone levels and increases fertility in women with luteal phase defect. Vitamin C also helps in keeping the sperm from clumping together, thereby making them more motile.
• Lipoic acid – Lipoic acid is found in small quantity in potatoes and spinach. It helps protect female reproductive organs and also improves sperm quality and motility in men.
• B12 – vitamin B12 has shown to improve sperm quality and production.
• Folic acid – This is the most common supplement necessary for pregnancy. It prevents neural tube defects, limb defects, cleft lips, urinary tract anomalies and congenital heart defects in developing fetuses.
• Iron – lack of iron can lead to anovulation, poor egg health and poor pregnancy rate.
• Selenium – It’s an antioxidant that protects eggs and sperms from free radicals. It is also necessary for sperm creation.
Foods you should avoid
• Soy – Avoid all forms of soy because they contain estrogen mimicking properties and can potentially have negative impact on your hormonal balance.
• Refined sugars – Highly processed foods products and drinks with high concentration of sugar can throw off your blood sugar levels and negatively affect your immune system.
These are some general Pre-Pregnancy Holistic Diet guidlinen. If you require a Personized Consultation or a Customized Diet plan you can book a One on One Pre-Pregancy Nutrition Consultation
|Posted on July 16, 2015 at 12:10 AM|
In our culture we are aware of our external cleanliness. We clean our house, our surroundings; we wash a fruit before taking a bite, brush our teeth and take shower. We spend lots of time on external cleanliness but we often overlook our internal cleanliness! Detoxification to me is internal cleanliness. Detoxification is what our body does naturally to get rid of toxins or wastes. In my understanding the primary function of our body is to absorb and eliminate. So when I talk about detoxification or cleansing our body I mean optimizing and improving the function of our body’s own detoxification system. That can be done by eliminating and decreasing the amount of toxins which we put in our bodies and at the same time strengthening our digestive system by providing it important nutrients for optimum absorption and excretion.
I believe an effective detoxification system is necessary for good health and in response to the many requests I’ve had, I have put together my own programs based on what I’ve seen working in my practice. Though the process of detoxification has to be customized, depending on every individual’s lifestyle and food habits. But there are still many things which we all can do to gently cleanse our bodies in our day to day life. Following are my top 5:
1- Drink Water: One thing that can easily help detox is drinking lots of water and when I say lots of water I mean LOTS of water! It not only help flush out the toxins but also improves skin health, supports digestive system, circulatory system & respiratory system.
2- Drink herbal teas, green tea & Spiced tea (Indian Chai): Substitute your morning coffee with green tea or Spiced tea. Green tea provides antioxidants in the most natural form with slight caffeine which can give a good kick to your morning. A spiced tea made up of exotic spices - ginger, cinnamon, cardamom & fennel seeds & black tea will not only provide you your much wanted caffeine but the spices will also fire up your digestive system for rest of the day. Drinking herbal teas throughout the day decreases the craving of caffeine and sugars.
3- Eliminate Sugars – Watch your sugar intake. Eliminate sugar by switching to freshly made juice over the boxed juices which are generally loaded with sugars. Cut your sugar intake through sugary cereals instead opt for oatmeal which you can make from scratch in about 10-15 min. Choose your energy bars & cereal bars smartly. Bake your own banana bread with natural sugars like stevia and palm sugar.
4- Sweat it out- Exercise! Practise Yoga; go for a run or brisk walk. Sweating out for even 30 min a day can help your body get rid of toxins which built up overtime.
5- Increase your fibre intake – Fibre can be an excellent supplement to detox. Fibre helps keep the digestive tract to function properly all toxins and wastes which has built up over the time in your body can move through rapidly with the help of fibre. Try to get fibre through natural sources fruits & vegetables, grains & legumes and chia seeds are to name a few.
Try to make a gradual change in your lifestyle by incorporating the above in your daily routine. Remember a good sleep, good probiotic and controlling your stress levels can help you in a long run!
You can book a One on one consultation or Family Consultation to get your own or your family’s Detox Program exclusively designed for you. If you are a corporate or a group I also offer workshops on detoxification. With my knowledge of both Nutrition and Yoga I offer a great blend of Detox for Body, mind & soul.
Manika is a registered Holistic Nutritionist and a Registered Yoga Teacher. She is also certified as Prenatal Yoga Teacher. She resides in Markham, Ontario in Canada and provides her healing services Worldwide. She believes that a good health and happy heart depends on both healthy body & mind. Her hobbies are doing Yoga, spending time with nature, hiking, cooking nutritional meals, reading inspirational books, music & dance. She is a life lover and loves spending time with her husband & her Baby girl!
|Posted on March 29, 2015 at 1:55 PM|
Since the time of Hippocrates, food has been used as a means of healing. An all-natural, holistic based diet has been proven to protect and nurture the body, therefore reversing certain ailments and promoting optimal overall health.
The body is created in such a way that it can heal itself of practically any ailment imaginable if given the proper nutrients. Processed foods contain little to no nutrients, making them useless in the healing process. Holistic nutrition utilizing fresh, whole foods gives the body a potent nutrient boost to stimulate the healing process.
Below are a few of the most well known ailments that can be alleviated through the use of natural foods:
• Increase energy, vitality and mental clarity by consuming dark blue and black foods such as seaweed, chia seeds, black beans and black olives. These foods are high in minerals that stimulate neurotransmitter function, enhancing mental clarity. Walnuts, chia seeds and hazelnuts are all high in omega 3 fatty acids that not only enhance brain function, but also provide the body with a healthy source of natural energy.
• Maintain optimal weight and even lose excess pounds by eating all natural foods high in fiber such as apples. Fiber helps you feel full for longer, and helps to promote healthy bowel function. Raw almonds are also a great choice and not only reduce high cholesterol levels, they also promote a sensation of fullness due to their high levels of protein, helping you to consume fewer calories.
• Increase fertility and even maintain a healthy pregnancy with good quality sources of full-fat dairy such as Greek yogurt. Dairy fat helps to stimulate ovulation, increasing your chances of becoming pregnant. Foods high in protein are also beneficial for individuals looking to become pregnant. Animal protein has been shown to decrease fertility, so switching to plant-based protein sources such as nuts and cooked beans is a wise choice for those looking to conceive.
• Reduce the symptoms and duration of autoimmune diseases such as Colitis, Graves, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hashimoto’s, Celiac and Multiple Sclerosis by eliminating all inflammation-causing foods such as white flour and refined sugars. Adding in high-protein foods such as nuts and lean meats can help reduce inflammation. Foods high in fat-soluble vitamins such as swiss chard, turnip greens, mustard greens, carrots and sweet potatoes can help improve antibody function and reduce dangerous inflammation.
• Manage Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, endometriosis, fibroids and hormone imbalances by eliminating all processed foods and those containing refined carbohydrates. One of the main hormones that contribute to PCOS is insulin. Many individuals who suffer from PCOS are also diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Consuming foods high in fiber, such as fresh vegetables, helps to regulate insulin levels. Green leafy vegetables healthy fats (such as avocadoes) are also beneficial.
Even if you do not suffer from any of the above ailments, you can still benefit from holistic nutrition. Eliminating all processed foods and incorporating more natural foods into your diet will not only reduce the symptoms of almost any ailment, it will also help to promote overall optimal health.
|Posted on November 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM|
The weather has already changed and I am sure you are seeing people around you with Cold & Flu or you might have one your self. Save your self from medications, headaches and sneezez by incorporating simple natural ways for prevention as well as reflief from symptoms - in case you already have
Prevention - It is important to strengthen the immune system to fight colds, flus and infections. Avoid - Sugars,chronic stress, lack of sleep alcohol and caffeine. They can all wreak havoc on the immune system. Eat antioxidant rich fruits & vegetables to calm free radicals that can damage the immune system. Add adaptogenic plants to help build immunity and increase resistance to stress. They all have anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antiviral, anti bacterial and antioxidant properties. To name a few - berries, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, broccoli, oregano ..!
Keep your body well hydrated and alkaline by drinking lots of filtered water, coconut water, freshly squeezed citric juices and eating vegetables and root vegetables (carrots, beets, sweet potatoes). Root vegetables are very good for not only keeping your body alkaline but also keeps you grounded during winters.
Relief from Symptoms - Increase your Vitamin D supplement to 3000 IU daily - it will rapidly attack on the cell walls of bacteria, viruses & fungi. Take a good probiotic which includes Lactobacillus, acidophilus and Bifidobacterium. You can also add fermented foods like tempeh, kimchi, yoghurt, kefir to your diet. Like I said before keep your body hydrated - drink water after every bathroom visit; include herbal teas like echinacea, ginger, fennel, chamomile; drink warm apple cider vinegar, warm lemon water with honey & ginger. Limit your dairy intake as it promotes mucous.
Other than above recommendations take out time for your self - exercise for atleast 30 minutes, do Yoga, meditation for even 5 minutes can do wonders to your health and keep smiling and stay positive!
Health, Love & Light,
Manika is a registered Holistic Nutritionist and a Registered Yoga Teacher. She is also certified as Prenatal Yoga Teacher. She resides in Markham, Ontario in Canada and provides her healing services Worldwide. She believes that a good health and happy heart depends on both healthy body & mind. Her hobbies are doing Yoga, spending time with nature, hiking, cooking nutritional meals, reading inspirational books, music & dance. She is a life lover and loves spending time with her husband.