Posted on December 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Last night before going to bed my mind was flooded with the list of things to do (for today). I was too overwhelmed with the idea of starting my day with healthy breakfast, trip to mall to buy gifts etc.. groceries, do Yoga with hubby... and the list goes on and then a thought poped up in my mind to BREATHE. And yes, I decided to write an article for "Our overwhelming minds".
When our mind is occupied by work, things to do, family time and on top of that arranging/attending Christmas parties, New Years eve Party.. I like to call it Mind Storm. And when Our mind is going through storm I believe our Body suffer too. First of all we need to tell ourself that there is always going to be something or the other thing going on! We will always have lots and lots of things to do and follow up but before every one and everything else we need to take care of our self. So here are few tips for Calm Body & Mind:
- Do not jump out of your bed as soon as you wake up! Make a point to get up 5 -15 minutes early and sit upright on your bed. Rotate your ankels and your wrist; do light neck exercises like: looking all the way up on the ceiling then both the sides and down; Breath deeply - Inhale at the count of 3 and exhale as same may be more than 3 - repeat this for atleast 5 times. Try to visualize your rest of the day as you are in control of your self, smiling, completing your list to do with efficiency and grace.
- Drink at least 8- 10 glasses of water through out the day. You can add freshly squeezed lemon or 1-2 spoons of apple cider vinegar in your bottle of water. It will not only keep your cells hydrated but also act as a gentle cleanse. And every time you take a sip from your bottle remind your self to breathe deeply.
- Eat leafy green and cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, swiss chard bok choy, spinach, and brussels sprouts.They're filled with antioxidants like vitamin C and plant compounds called carotenoids, which are particularly powerful brain protectors. You can have them as sides or salads or may be in smoothies!
- Sunlight feeds your brain seretonin factory - your feel good hormones. As the days are getting shorter and greyer it mneans the seretonin factory has less sunlight to work with. So try going out for a walk during lunch break. You may also have your breakfast/brunch/lunch or tea while you soak in the sun . Even 10 minutes are good enough.
- Get your body moving so that you can enjoy your dinner parties guilt free.. 20 minutes of Yoga and 20 minutes of Cardio is asking for only 40 minutes of your day!
- Finally, wind up your day by a warm chamomile herbal tea in your cozy throw or blanket. Do your bedtime routines and as you get into your bed - sit straight, breathe deeply. Thanks the Universe for providing and guiding you for the whole day. Set up an intention that tomorrow is going to be another beautiful day.
I hope and wish that you find these tips helpful. For more information and making positive changes you can click here to check out our Nutrtional Services
. Until then Namaste and have a calm mind and body!
Manika is a registered Holistic Nutritionist and a Registered Yoga Teacher. She is also certified as Prenatal Yoga Teacher. She resides in Markham, Ontario in Canada and provides her healing services Worldwide. She believes that a good health and happy heart depends on both healthy body & mind. Her hobbies are doing Yoga, spending time with nature, hiking, cooking nutritional meals, reading inspirational books, music & dance. She is a life lover and loves spending time with her husband.