|Posted on March 9, 2016 at 3:50 PM|
Holistic diet and lifestyle choices play a significant role if you are planning to get pregnant. There are plenty of food items that both men and women should avoid or adopt before pregnancy to ensure good health of your baby and prevent any birth defects. Moreover by making specific changes to your diet you can boost your fertility and increase your chances of conception.
Pre-pregnancy holistic diet is important for conception because foods that you eat become the building block for hormones, for example they may provide antioxidants which may be helpful to protect egg and sperms from free radicals. Some nutrients found in the food can promote fertility. Similarly some foods may contain chemical additives that can be harmful for your health and fertility.
The definition of healthy food may vary from person to person. Regardless of what your definition of healthy diet is, here are some of the traits of pre-pregnancy holistic diet:
• Provides your body with abundance of vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and other nutrients required for optimal health.
• It provides antioxidants, minerals and vitamins needed to protect egg and sperm health from the damages caused by free radicals.
• It helps your body maintain hormonal balance by providing healthy fats need for hormone production and function.
• It minimizes the chances of miscarriage due to insulin resistance or damage from free radicals to the ova, sperm and DNA.
• Pre-pregnancy holistic diet also helps the body build important nutrient stores for pregnancy.
• It supports healthy reproductive system.
• It also promotes energy and vitality.
Here are some foods that help with conception. You should aim at including them in your diet.
• Fatty fishes – fatty fishes are rich in omega-3 fatty acids because of their ability to regulate menstrual cycle. Avoid fishes that are high in mercury concentration such as ahi tuna, swordfish, and Chilean sea bass.
• Organic vegetables and fruits – eating organic vegetables and fruits help you to avoid harmful herbicides and pesticides which have been shown to adversely affect both female and male fertility.
• High fiber foods – Fiber helps to regulate blood sugar levels which help to reduce fertility issues such as PCOS and immunological issues.
• Vitamin D – Foods rich in vitamin D helps your body create sex hormones which is essential in creating ovulation and hormonal balance.
• Vitamin E – Studies have shown that vitamin E is helpful in improving sperm health and motility in men.
• Vitamin C – It improves hormone levels and increases fertility in women with luteal phase defect. Vitamin C also helps in keeping the sperm from clumping together, thereby making them more motile.
• Lipoic acid – Lipoic acid is found in small quantity in potatoes and spinach. It helps protect female reproductive organs and also improves sperm quality and motility in men.
• B12 – vitamin B12 has shown to improve sperm quality and production.
• Folic acid – This is the most common supplement necessary for pregnancy. It prevents neural tube defects, limb defects, cleft lips, urinary tract anomalies and congenital heart defects in developing fetuses.
• Iron – lack of iron can lead to anovulation, poor egg health and poor pregnancy rate.
• Selenium – It’s an antioxidant that protects eggs and sperms from free radicals. It is also necessary for sperm creation.
Foods you should avoid
• Soy – Avoid all forms of soy because they contain estrogen mimicking properties and can potentially have negative impact on your hormonal balance.
• Refined sugars – Highly processed foods products and drinks with high concentration of sugar can throw off your blood sugar levels and negatively affect your immune system.
These are some general Pre-Pregnancy Holistic Diet guidlinen. If you require a Personized Consultation or a Customized Diet plan you can book a One on One Pre-Pregancy Nutrition Consultation
Categories: Holistic Nutrition